Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Which would I use?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:48 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
so im not really looking to mod my inquisition game, and I honestly don't have much know how even if I wanted to I'm sort of relying on tutorials I've found to get this far and sorry in advance if I've posted this topic in the wrong section.

I'm mainly wanting to be able to extra the models, like the character models, so I can have a closer look at say the characters outfit or features, a closer look than I would probably get from just playing the game. Would I use modmaker or, going back to the tutorial i was looking at, theres a DAI modding tool, though that I can't find, would I use the modmaker?

Post subject: Re: Which would I use?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:14 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
The mod maker is the DAI modding tool, so yes, use that ;)

If you just want to look at the models and not change anything, you might not even need to extract them - just open up the relevant SkinnedMeshAsset and click 'preview'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:20 am 

The modding tool is pretty much the old version of the modmaker so just use the modmaker. Although if you just want to get a look at the details up close you can always try the cinematic tools? It would probably be easier. But if you still want to look at the models out of the game download the modmaker out of the dai tools suite. Once you get that up and running it's pretty straight forward. If you wanted to look at isabela's new outfit you'd go to da3>actors>isabela and find the model for it(it'll be a skinnedmeshasset), click import/export, export, and open it up in 3dsmax or blender. I think you can also extract the textures and put them on the mesh in those programs? But i'm not entirely sure on how to do that. If you want to look at the textures where all the colors and details are you can just look at it by clicking preview once you click on the texture you want or you can extract that too and open it up in photoshop or gimp. For that you'll need the nvidia texture tools.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
halfriv wrote:
The modding tool is pretty much the old version of the modmaker so just use the modmaker. Although if you just want to get a look at the details up close you can always try the cinematic tools? It would probably be easier. But if you still want to look at the models out of the game download the modmaker out of the dai tools suite. Once you get that up and running it's pretty straight forward. If you wanted to look at isabela's new outfit you'd go to da3>actors>isabela and find the model for it(it'll be a skinnedmeshasset), click import/export, export, and open it up in 3dsmax or blender. I think you can also extract the textures and put them on the mesh in those programs? But i'm not entirely sure on how to do that. If you want to look at the textures where all the colors and details are you can just look at it by clicking preview once you click on the texture you want or you can extract that too and open it up in photoshop or gimp. For that you'll need the nvidia texture tools.

I've never really known about the cinematic tools or how to really acess them. I'll look around for tutorials on how to access those tools if the modmaker doesn't work for me. Thank you for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:41 am 

Oh well I highly recommend you try the tools first it's a lot simpler process and you won't have to download so much stuff. The new version on the website the tool is on doesn't work, you should use this one instead: https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comm ... tic_tools/
and here is a tutorial on how to set it up if you need it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpyYv-XPYck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 pm 

Have thanks: 32 time
The new/current version of the Cinematic Tools works for me. Problems with it are not universal. Sure, post an alternative for people that are having problems, but IMO it should not be automatic to just post an earlier version.

The most recent version of Cinematic Tools can be found here. Try that first and be sure to read instructions and follow troubleshooting tips in the accompanying readme. If it still doesn't work, then by all means, use a lower version.