Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: VOIDER IS COMING BACK
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:52 pm 

Have thanks: 26 time
Voider puts up video tutorials on his subreddit when he releases a new feature; so I think atm there is no need for more tutorials. I ran tests with the automated features that have been integrated into the tools, and I can confirm his patching method is currently more stable than the ModManager approach. Complexion and tattoo mods have the tendency to cause infinite freezing screens with the ModManager approach, especially in DLC areas. Voider's patching method gets around it. Without DLC support, the complexion mods don't show up in DLC areas like the Black Emporium, but the game doesn't freeze.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:04 pm 

Have thanks: 6 time
lesspopped wrote:
Lots of the names on this forum show up frequently on the ME3Explorer forum as well; I promise you, plenty of us are big fans of WV's work already. :) Like Dandelion, I don't see any reason the two tools can't coexist, and neither, from what I've seen, do WV or Dawn themselves -- it's not a competition, both have worked hard and done a lot for the community. I, certainly, am grateful for both...and SUPER jazzed about the possibilities for ME4 when that comes out!

It can be intimidating for people to learn an entirely new tool, especially if what they've got already works well for their purposes. I'm lurking on the sub, but I'm several hundred miles away from my home computer and so can't do any experimenting with WV's tool yet, and besides, most of what I've accomplished in my own game has been me looking at someone's tutorial and saying "hmm, I wonder if I could do this, too". One great way you could encourage people to use both would be to post tutorials, to show people what can be done with WV's tool. If you want to keep the activity on the subreddit, then maybe crosspost here with a quick explanation of what you're demonstrating, to give people an idea of how they might go about using the feature being demonstrated. Ask the mods of this forum, maybe, if they could add a section for DAITools in addition to Mod Manager/Mod Maker/Save Editor, so that people have a place to talk about their own experiments -- I know I have a much easier time keeping track of things the fewer places they're in, so even if Voider himself stays on the sub, there'd still be some activity and interest here. Just an idea. :)

it doesn't look like WV and the mods on this forum have a healthy relationship :[

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 272 time
[quote="y3804"]
it doesn't look like WV and the mods on this forum have a healthy relationship :[

I really don't appreciate you stirring ****. Don't conjecture about things you know nothing of.
I've known WV for years, I just don't have the time nor the energy to focus on more than one tool seeing as I have a 4 month old to take care of nowadays. As I've invested my time in Dawn's tool, I don't have spare time to do so with WVs.
What Dawn and WV decide to do when it comes to the tools is entirely up to them and best left between them.
Ottemis has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:00 pm 

Ottemis wrote:
What Dawn and WV decide to do when it comes to the tools is entirely up to them and best left between them.

this.

no offense to you. I know "mods" is an umbrella term and I should have used something else. sorry if you feel offended.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 272 time
Whether you meant to include me/us or not, it's nobody's place to conjecture about things that have nothing to do with them, especially not openly on a forum where both discussed parties are active and can see it. Your apology is appreciated though.
At any rate, moving on.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:37 am 

Have thanks: 26 time
lesspopped wrote:
It can be intimidating for people to learn an entirely new tool, especially if what they've got already works well for their purposes.

I've thinking about this and think I just make a short FAQ explain something.

What's this all about?
This is about DAIToolsWV, a toolset for making mods for DA:I.

Where can I get it?
Here. Click on "Download ZIP", unpack it whereever you want, and locate the .exe in the DAIToolsWV/DAIToolsWV/bin/Debug/ folder. Look here if you want to shorten the initial scanning process. If you don't want to do that (or have forgotten about that, like me ...), the initial scanning took me roughly 4 hours.

What can it do?
The main feature is exporting and importing files used by the game, e.g. replacing an already existing file from the game assets with one of your own. Textures, ebx, meshes, stuff like these, and make mods out of it so you can share them with others.

How does that work?
If you're familiar with how the ModMaker works, you won't have trouble starting with the DAIToolsWV either. It works roughly the same way, just with different steps. You have browsers that show you where you can find which file. You can preview them, and then export them. Then you can edit them any way you like, and re-import them into the game by making a mod in the DAIMWV format. By applying the mod to your game folder, the changes take effect.
For the most common mods - e.g. texture mods and ebx mods, look at these tutorials: texture and ebx

How are mods applied?
The DAIToolsWV use a different method. Unlike the ModManager which creates a new Patch folder and forces the game to load the new Patch folder by increasing the mft-version, it applies the changes to the Patch folder directly.
It's highly recommended you backup your Patch folder before applying any mods!

How is this any better than what the ModManager does?
You have to decide yourself what works better for you. It's "better" in a way that this version is more stable, and less prone to crashing/freezing the game as it can happen if you use mods. Also, as it's been tested and confirmed, this patching method doesn't freeze the game in DLC areas, e.g. entering the Black Emporium with texture and tattoo mods applied.

Does that mean the DAIToolsWV support DLCs? Will my complexion mods show up in the Black Emporium?
Currently, no. However this is a planned feature that will be supported in the future.

Can you import custom meshes?
Currently, no. The tools don't support them yet.

When will that be?
When it's done.

I'm working with this tool, and I'm stuck! Where can I get help?
You can ask here, some people are quite familiar with this tool already and might help you. Or better head over to here and ask for help, where WarrantyVoider can directly address your problem and tell you what's going on :)

But there is already the ModMaker
This is a different tool.

But I use ModMaker, do I need to learn how to use the DAITools?
No. You can choose whatever you like. If you feel familiar with the ModMaker and like it, stick to it.

I don't mod myself, but I enjoy using mods. Are the DAITools any good to me?
Yes, because the DAITools can, besides creating mods, also apply mods done by others to your game.

I've been downloading mods from this forum and the Nexus, but all I get are daimod-files and no daimwv-files
If nobody make their mods in the daimwv-format, there won't be some :)

But I simply want to use the mods I already found and like so this tool it useless to me
This can happen that the tools are not for you :)
However - the daimod files aren't so exactly different from the daimwv files. Both files simply include a file and an xml to tell the corresponding tool, aka ModMaker/ModManager or DAITools, what to do with it, like replace da3/stuff/blabla/lolol.ebx. WV already confirmed it would be easy to integrate a method for the DAITools to read or directly apply a .daimod file, since they are essentially the same.

But that would mean you don't need the ModManager anymore if that happens?
No. As I said earlier - this is about choice. Everyone should choose for themselves what tool they wish to use, and what works for them. The mod creating process - whether it's creating daimod files and daimwv files, is roughly the same, so for those creating content themselves there shouldn't change much. The main difference is the patching process. Here you decide what's easier for you, what works for you, what you prefer.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:15 pm 

Latest commit includes Binary bundle (DLC) support. WV is our savior.

Report this post