Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: VOIDER IS COMING BACK
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:13 am 

Have thanks: 26 time
Wow, Voider, this sounds so promising ... I think I'm OK to risk destroying my game to test it. Not that I fear testing it would be inherently dangerous, but my own scatty brain will add to the rest :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 212 time
well you only need to back up the patch folder itself (ca. 3gb) because it wont affect anything else. on mod runner you can even select a seperate folder, where you edit the patch and can swap this with the real one. If there's ever a new patch, you just have to reapply the mods, it wont matter what version the patch is. Sofar I noticed it looks only for the package.mft files, then which has the "Authorative" option (there are many more btw) and the highest version, it doesnt seems to be possible to have a 2nd patch beside it, but you can easily swap which gets used, by making the version number higher than the other.
Please let me know how it went, and if any errors appear :) Also please use reddit, I want to reduce the time I spend here to zero, because this is the only thread left that I read anyway :P

greetz WV

PS:a texture mod in essential is a replacement of a chunk of a ressource, as my code isnt bound to texture only ressources, this means we can theoretically replace any ressource, as long as we know its format. textures are obviously easy, meshes not so, and then theres levels, collision stuff, animation, scripted scenes, events, dialoges, sounds, "actors" (compount objects), and what not... Its just having the basic replacement method and code in place what took so long

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:17 pm 

I try to test it in the upcoming days. I've been following your project since the beginning and am eager to test it for myself and see how it goes for me. I'm especially curious to see how it will affect areas where I had mod-related crashes and see how it goes.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:39 pm 

Have thanks: 6 time
sounds really weird to me that voider has to recreate everything by himself, although some of the features are already present in mod maker. I know mod maker is closed source, but can't you guys help him a bit?? :P

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 272 time
That's choice, not necessity.
Ottemis has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:05 am 

Have thanks: 6 time
How does no one care about WV's progress (extremely limited activity on subreddit)? his tool is already arguably more feature complete than mod maker...

Just saying he deserves more exposure!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:30 pm 

Have thanks: 42 time
y3804 wrote:
How does no one care about WV's progress (extremely limited activity on subreddit)? his tool is already arguably more feature complete than mod maker...

Just saying he deserves more exposure!

It's a much better method than the modmaker to be honest, but the modmaker is what has been used for a long time and the game is a year old now, so it's hard to get people excited for new tools at this point. Less people are inclined to test things when they already have something that works. When people start making mods with his tool and releasing them I suspect there will be a slow shift away from the modmaker.

Really though, when Mass Effect 4 comes out, with the same exact engine, and WV has a fully fleshed out working tool within a week of that games release, trust me when I say he will get "exposure."

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:07 am 

Have thanks: 7 time
Still I think that if more modders would made the jump and release two versions of their mod to facilitate the switch more people would give a thought about it... Well even talk about it. Of course it's easy to say, and I released only one largely forgotten mod that I couldn't be bothered to update or convert as soon it was up to what I needed so I understand in a small way the hassle it is (at least no matter the patch, it still worked since it's a core mechanic)...
Sadly the main resource is still the nexus for most people so they won't even know about it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:23 am 

-- not relevant any longer --

Last edited by Dandelion on Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:24 pm 

Lots of the names on this forum show up frequently on the ME3Explorer forum as well; I promise you, plenty of us are big fans of WV's work already. :) Like Dandelion, I don't see any reason the two tools can't coexist, and neither, from what I've seen, do WV or Dawn themselves -- it's not a competition, both have worked hard and done a lot for the community. I, certainly, am grateful for both...and SUPER jazzed about the possibilities for ME4 when that comes out!

It can be intimidating for people to learn an entirely new tool, especially if what they've got already works well for their purposes. I'm lurking on the sub, but I'm several hundred miles away from my home computer and so can't do any experimenting with WV's tool yet, and besides, most of what I've accomplished in my own game has been me looking at someone's tutorial and saying "hmm, I wonder if I could do this, too". One great way you could encourage people to use both would be to post tutorials, to show people what can be done with WV's tool. If you want to keep the activity on the subreddit, then maybe crosspost here with a quick explanation of what you're demonstrating, to give people an idea of how they might go about using the feature being demonstrated. Ask the mods of this forum, maybe, if they could add a section for DAITools in addition to Mod Manager/Mod Maker/Save Editor, so that people have a place to talk about their own experiments -- I know I have a much easier time keeping track of things the fewer places they're in, so even if Voider himself stays on the sub, there'd still be some activity and interest here. Just an idea. :)

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next