Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Dawn's progress report
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 373 time
Hello all!

I wanted to give you a lil report on my progress with the modding tool (now renamed "Mod Maker")

I re-did the whole scanning process. The classes are much simpler and the whole structure of the project is more organized (doesn't impact modders but for us coders it's like opening the door to a hoarder's house and trying to find stuff XD)

There was a lot of data skipped during the initial scan (including precious mesh variations) in the previous tool which made some assets impossible to load. That's fixed now :D There's tons of new Res and EBX loaded! YAY!

Even with those new shiny things, the whole scanning process + loading talk tables + loading mesh variations now takes 3 to 4 minutes.
I played with the idea of dropping the cache entirely (I know games which take longer than that to load) but now it's back up in case you modders have slower PCs than mine :)

I also fixed the mesh and headmorphs import/export/preview.

Unfortunately, I cannot release the tool just yet. Re-writting everything "broke" the save and loadding of mods temporarily. I'm not done cleaning that bit just yet.
There's also a problem with applying Delta for Res files which is gonna take a while to figure out.

My current plan is to fix everything that's already in the current tool and then release it so you guys have something solid to work with while I migrate the tool to a new, simpler, user-friendly and beginner friendly UI (the current tool is great for people with a bit of computer knowledge but I want to open it to new people).

The new UI will take a while to do (and I'll be adding tons of new shiny stuff) so I REALLY want to give you something good while you wait for it. :D

Things left to do :
*Fix Res Delta
*Fix saving/loading of mods
*Move the packing of mods code from the Mod Manager to the Mod Maker
*Test and fix all Importers/Exporters
*Test and fix other windows

Thank you all for your patience! :D

Tumblr: http://dawnatwork.tumblr.com/ (For updates, PSA, progress reports, etc)
Discord Server :https://discord.gg/xs6Mktq

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:19 pm 

Have thanks: 131 time
Thank YOU for all your hard work! We really appreciate it!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 pm 

Have thanks: 321 time
Thank you SO MUCH, Dawn! This is amazing work!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:32 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
You are a rock star.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 am 

Have thanks: 23 time
Dawn, I have a question about some requirements.

I can't run the current mod tools because evidently it was programmed under DX11 only. I have a DX10 card that is still powerful enough to run everything out there on max settings, so I am not really inclined (or can afford) to go drop another large wad of cash on a new display card. Will your fixes/new tool run under dx9/10?

Thanks!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:51 am 

Have thanks: 9 time
Thank you so much, Dawn! I'm excited to see how your changes will affect modding, and glad to hear you plan to make it easier to use for new modders! <3

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:31 am 
Site Admin

Sunnie wrote:
Dawn, I have a question about some requirements.

I can't run the current mod tools because evidently it was programmed under DX11 only. I have a DX10 card that is still powerful enough to run everything out there on max settings, so I am not really inclined (or can afford) to go drop another large wad of cash on a new display card. Will your fixes/new tool run under dx9/10?

Thanks!

That's the SlimDX library that we use which in turn uses DirectX. According to their documentation, they're supposed to support earlier versions of DirectX.

Most SlimDX based applications will also want to use at least some version of DirectX. SlimDX is configured to delay load all of its DirectX DLL dependencies. This means that none of it is required until an application actually tries to use that component. (Note that Direct3DX is forcibly loaded along with Direct3D in the January 2012 release; this may change in future versions.) SlimDX releases are usually matched with DirectX SDK release, although this is not the case for the January 2012 release. SlimDX January 2012 relies on the older June 2010 release of the DirectX SDK, which uses Direct3DX version 43. An end user can install the June 2010 DirectX redistributable package, or any later version, and their system will be correctly configured.

I haven't played much with SlimDX yet though so I'm not entirely sure of what it needs/does/eats/is a cat person. I'm pretty sure the tool isn't compiled with a specific version of SlimDX either.
I just tried to load the current tool (one I'm working on) with an earlier version of SlimDX with the following "technique" and it seems to run fine (the previous tool was mostly broken to view Meshes anyway so it's a little hard to verify if this will work)

Here's what I did :
Go to : http://slimdx.org/download_june10.php
And download and install both the runtime and SDK (Pretty sure you don't need the runtime if you install the SDK but let's do it anyway)
Once the SDK is installed, go to where it's installed (most likely C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimDX)
In the "bin" folder, go to "net40" and then pick your version (x86 for 32 bits and x64 for 64 bits)

Copy the dll and paste it in the tool's folder to overwrite the "newer" SlimDX.dll (you might want to back up it first in case this makes matters worst)

Launch the tool and check if you can load a Skinned Mesh (but as I said, the previous tool is kinda broken so it still might not work)

Tell me how it goes :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:15 am 
Site Admin

YAY! Delta is fixed.

On tomorrow's menu : fix loading/saving of mods.

DawnlessSky has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:55 am 

Have thanks: 26 time
Wow! I would offer to help, but I know just enough coding to be dangerous, haha. If you want someone to help with testing, though, or to just, IDK, send you pictures of cute animals as encouragement, let me know! Thanks so much for all the work you're doing.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:46 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
Are you saying that we could export Cassandra'a face model OBJ, push the verts around in 3dsmax, export an OBJ, then import this back into the game and Cassandra will have the new updated face geometry with morphs, facial animations and everything intact?

Report this post