Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Offering cash reward for any modder who can help me.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:12 pm 

Have thanks: 4 time
Update! ricco19 did some very fancy work with a plot flag editor and a hex editor and has earned the prize. Thank you to everyone who helped! How it was done: http://daitools.freeforums.org/post8708.html#p8708

The prize is $50 USD deposited into the account (or donated to charity if you prefer) of your choice if the problem is fixed within one week of posting this. If it takes more than one week, the prize drops to $25, but this offer stands until someone can help fix the problem, regardless of how long it takes. I will update this post if anyone has claimed the prize, checking at least twice every day until the problem is solved.
---
Problem description:
Late in the game, Leliana takes the player to a chantry in Ferelden. Here she meets an acolyte named Natalie. Leliana discovers that Natalie is a traitor and confronts her. Leliana threatens to kill Natalie. If the Inquisitor tells Leliana to stand down, Leliana disobeys and kills Natalie anyway. This is because I chose to kill a traitor at the very beginning of the game, which was all it took to "harden" Leliana. As long as Leliana is hardened, the ending to the game becomes an unhappy one.

The prize goes to the first person who gives me a mod making Leliana "un-hardened." Simply put: Find what flag dictates if Leliana is hardened (meaning she'll kill Natalie regardless of what the main character says). Then find a way to set change that flag to make Leliana un-hardened. Test it by replaying the scene in question and making sure Leliana obeys.

I am providing a copy of my saved game right before the confrontation. Feel free to edit the save to fix the flag, or to provide a mod file which fixes it. Take whatever approach you wish, just help me make Leliana un-hardened again.

Here's some helpful information from my own experimentation:
* The DAI Save game Plot editor does not work. The plot editor can change Integer-type flags that are in place, but cannot add new Integer flags. To make Leliana softened, a flag would have to be set whereby the traitor Butler was allowed to live. This is one of the first choices made in the entire game, and cannot be changed by the plot editor. At least I couldn't do it. Perhaps you'll have more luck?

* There are mods out there which change romance plots. Perhaps one of you can learn how to fix this problem by reverse engineering such a mod. Here's an example of a mod that changes plot flags: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/496/?

* Here is a copy of my save:
https://goo.gl/HYhVzI

---
Q: Why am I doing this?
A: Because I have been playing this game with my wife for almost a year. In a few weeks I'll be leaving her for a few months to finish up my PhD, and I would like to finish the game on a happy note before I do. I cannot do that if Leliana is hardened, and I cannot replay several hundred hours to change that one flag, certainly not in such a short time.

Q: How can you trust that I would actually pay?
A: As with anything on the Internet, you cannot. However, this is my username that I use everywhere. There is enough information on me through my username that you can cause major grief for me if you are so inclined. If there is any way that I can prove myself trustworthy to you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Q: Why not just do it myself?
A: I am packing up all my stuff and getting ready to move to another state. I have enough to worry about without spending countless hours with an outdated version of the modding tools, trying to do what apparently noone else has managed. Simply put: I don't have time.
---
If offering cash for such services is not allowed, please let me know - I've read the terms and saw nothing prohibiting it, so I will assume it's okay. If not, let me know and I'll do what I can to retract my offer - no harm intended. I see it as a way to encourage more people to mod (which is good for the community), while also fixing my own problems. Win-win!

Thank you and good luck!

Last edited by skywyze on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Offering cash reward for any modder who can help me.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:15 pm 

Have thanks: 42 time
If you have the hex value for the plot flag you want to add, and also find a hex value of a flag you don't care about and can remove, it may be possible to just replace the values with a hex editor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:52 pm 

So I did the following to no avail:

Replaced these two
7A689E68F6E34F4E9437948B00FF01C6,BOOL,Vivienne is Divine
F52477834E071C4894EBCA0706110311,INT,dai_blackwall_approval

With
CE01323A17870C4E95283D747263019A,BOOL,Leliana did not kill agent
915CC2886A76FD4B92EF6518BA53010A,INT,Leliana softened

Just to see if it would do anything, and it didn't change anything. I could try it on a save that is right before the mission, it might get locked in before the mission starts. If that doesn't work, you may be **** out of luck as far as the save game is concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:09 pm 

Here's a save right before starting that mission. Maybe that will help?
https://goo.gl/44pb0k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:25 pm 

Ok, I think I got it to work with the original save, however I have absolutely no clue if there will be any side effect or not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20TOC ... sp=sharing

The technical details for people interested. From reading the plot flag thread I gathered there were other people who wanted this, quite a long time ago. We can't ADD values to the table because it would re-size the save and corrupt it. You can however replace flags with new ones, and keep the save intact. In this case I replaced the following four BOOL values:

Code:
45FE541FAFB6B54CA1D6C9143209017E,BOOL,DAO/Class/Warrior?
0A1A5BF0A764264EB067A4F6E3BD016A,BOOL,DAO/Romance/Morrigan?
79CF236575D34940A7CF12865342012E,BOOL,DAO/Romance/Leliana?
3BC3E7F9CB37F54E9002A2F89AB9016A,BOOL,DAO/Romance/Zevran?

with
Code:
CE01323A17870C4E95283D747263019A,BOOL,Leliana did not kill agent  == TRUE
DADF5B4FCEAAA749AC724875AFD601D6,BOOL,??? == TRUE
0E8105EDBBB9694DBC4A913ADE0301C5,BOOL,??? == FALSE
DB286CE3E14E2D44964C573E2EB0010C,BOOL,??? == FALSE

I chose those four because they were all FALSE, and have counterpart flags set to TRUE. No idea if this will create a bug down the line or not.

As for how, I simply used a HEX editor to search for the values and replaced them (I had to bit-shift the save like usual). I then had to load it up with the plot editor and set the two values to TRUE instead of false, and it worked.

P.S. if this actually solves the problem no money is needed, it's actually quite useful information
ricco19 has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:36 am 

Wow, I just did some rigorous testing and everything worked! Better than I had expected even! I understand what you said, but when I load up my save in a hex editor and try searching for those values, I don't find anything. How did you find them?

Also, it's very generous of you not to ask for the reward, but you have certainly earned it. If you do not want a reward, or the hassle of setting up an account, then I will donate the money to a charity instead. It's entirely up to you. Thank you so much! My wife and I will be able to get the happy ending we were hoping for now. It's very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:44 pm 

A looong time ago we figured out that 90% of the save file is garbage, unless you bit shift the save file. When you start shifting the file, certain parts open up, and other parts become garbage. So basically, you need to shift the file until you find the plot flags, change them with the hex editor, then shift the save file back. It's a huge pain in the *** and why there is really no proper save editor still. It's also why the "add" feature doesn't work on Ehams tool.

By the way, the "pinging" noises that happen on your save is because you have max inquisition rank, and then some. If you use the plot flag editor and set it to 190,000 you'll be the same rank and won't get that noise every time you open and close a menu.
ricco19 has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:31 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Ricco, Could you write up a tutorial for others who are interested in fixing their save to soften Leliana as well? I honestly don't know where to start.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:46 am 

Have thanks: 3 time
skywyze wrote:
Q: Why am I doing this?
A: Because I have been playing this game with my wife for almost a year. In a few weeks I'll be leaving her for a few months to finish up my PhD, and I would like to finish the game on a happy note before I do. I cannot do that if Leliana is hardened, and I cannot replay several hundred hours to change that one flag, certainly not in such a short time.

SOOO Sweet!! :D
The couple who Play together Stay Together!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
ricco19, you're a hero! I stopped playing almost three months ago because I ran into this problem and couldn't figure out a solution. I was hopeful when I learnt of the plot flags editor, until I found out no one had figured out a way to soften Leliana. I've been checking here occasionally since.

Unfortunately, the solution is more technical than I can understand (I've played with the plot flags editor a bit, but haven't used a hex editor or bit-shifted before). As Gr3yStar said, would it be possible to explain/tutor other people on how to do it? Or if that's not possible, would you be unbelievably good samaritan-like and be willing to edit my save? (That sounds like a slippery slope, given how many people seem to have this problem, so totally understand if you don't want to waste more of your time dealing with this issue. :) )