Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Well, well..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:58 am 

Have thanks: 5 time
Paid for Mods (Steam)...

The beginning of the end of the Mod Community and its original idea and philosophy in a world where increasingly everything turns around a "$" sign.

A not very surprising step but a sad one though.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Well, well..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:56 pm 

Have thanks: 24 time
Oh bloody hells... what ever happened to the joy of creation?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:30 pm 

Have thanks: 4 time
Im not that pessimistic about this news. Who knows, this might be a new dawn for modding in general.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:53 pm 

Have thanks: 120 time
Well, people selling their mods isn't anything new. The Sims has a lot of paid mods. I wonder how they're working out the legal side of this, though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:29 am 

Have thanks: 131 time
I'm of two minds about it. I think that modders work hard and, if they want to charge for a mod, then that's good they've given them a platform from which to operate. On the other hand, as a player (couldn't mod my way out of a paper bag) one of the things I love to do is experiment with different mods. I've been messing around in Skyrim again lately and currently have over 75 mods going there. Even at a conservative $.99 per mod, that's nearly $75.00 .... more than the game originally cost me. I simply can't afford to pack on another $100.00 to a game just from mods. I'd pretty much have to just stick with vanilla games except for major overhauls by modders I've already used. It would eliminate any desire on my part to try new things or new mods just from a financial standpoint.

Edit: Don't know if this is correct, but I read somewhere that the modders only get 25% of the revenue from any paid mods. That seems to be a pretty big cut that's being taken out considering that Steam isn't doing anything other than setting up and maintaining the system to get the cash. I would think that the modders should get a much bigger cut. Especially since there's a $100 minimum accrual before Steam will even pay the modder.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:20 am 

Have thanks: 32 time
Edits upon edits:
Seems to be over, for now. The announcement kinda reads like a strategic PR retreat.
Anyways, Nexus updated their donation system, so hopefully those modders who needed the cash can see it.

Mahayla wrote:
Edit: Don't know if this is correct, but I read somewhere that the modders only get 25% of the revenue from any paid mods. That seems to be a pretty big cut that's being taken out considering that Steam isn't doing anything other than setting up and maintaining the system to get the cash.

This much is true. As of now, 75% is split between Valve & Bethesda. The Steam news page makes it seem nice on the outside, like why would modders complain about being paid? But knowing the numbers just makes it seem a bit exploitative, at least in my opinion. Nexus is able to get 5% (cut from Valve's share) if the modder ticks a box to provide money to "Service Providers". And it's very likely many mods would never meet the minimum amount for payment. :/

The community has lost many great mod providers due to this debacle, whether it is to prevent their mods from being monetized without permission, or to prevent use of their content in paid mods. I am very sad to see them go, for whatever reason, because lost variety is truly a shame.

Last edited by zalunaya on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:46 am 

Have thanks: 48 time
Well, another reason I'm glad I don't have a Steam account. I'm all for modders doing whatever they want with their mods (though I would never EVER charge someone for one of my little diddlings), but to only get 25% of the cut as opposed to people who had NOTHING to do with the hard work that went into creating it? That's crazy.

At least the nexus isn't charging. As far as I can tell, they don't have plans to do so either. Are we going to see a return to discs being popular? *Looks at his Witcher 2, Skyrim, and Fallout: NV on disc* I'm ready!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:00 pm 

Have thanks: 32 time
There is nothing really wrong with modders wanting compensation for their work, except that most mods depend on modder's resources/other mods, the creators of which are not compensated. Monetizing mods means that the great modders, the experienced coders may choose to hoard their work/knowledge for themselves behind a paywall, and ultimately the community would be poorer for it. It's a bitter feeling when you do something for free to help people (like making the freaking DAItools and mod manager) only to have them turn around and monetize it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:49 pm 

Have thanks: 26 time
For me personally, modding doesn't only mean there are mods created by other modders that I can try out and play, but also that I can mod the game myself to my needs. No matter how crappy a modder you might be, if the game is moddable and you know how to do it, you can still change the game in an aspect even if nobody else except you cares about it. Most modding communities share their knowledge and many friendly modders out there write helpful tutorials or answer questions. So if you are not very skilled, chances are you could still achieve modding the game how you want.

Now that could change if modders can sell their mods. If there's profit behind the mods, then it could be valuable not to share knowledge. Not necessarily, of course - some modders might still share their knowledge, help others and write tutorials and still sell their mods. That's something left in the open, and it might vary from game to game and community to community.

However, if a paid mods system would mean better mod support by the game developer, meaning development kits and mod support by the developer (as in ... not needing to worry for the next patch to break the mods again), this would be something I'd genuinely support.

Report this post