Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Make part of existing mesh invisible
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:18 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
I'd like to try to make the skulls on the shoulders of the Katari QM multiplayer mesh invisible (and maybe the skull bag on the back as well, if it could be done). Based on my very limited understanding of how 3D works, I think this should simply be an alpha edit to make them invisible? Is that correct? Or do I need to actually edit a mesh file?

I've made small mods for DAI and other games before (Skyhold PJ replacements, ability swaps, that sort of thing) so I know more or less how the Mod Manager works, but 3D editing is almost completely alien to me. I'm hoping this is a nice simple mod to get my feet wet, so please do tell me if I'm wrong :P

Post subject: Re: Make part of existing mesh invisible
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:01 am 

It's actually pretty easy. Export the mesh, open it up with 3ds and move the parts you want gone away from the mesh. Then just scale them down a bunch of times till they're invisible and export and put it back into the modmaker. I would do it for you but I don't have the dlc. If you have any problems come back and I'll see if I can help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:10 pm 

Thank you! It's actually from multiplayer, not a dlc, so you probably do have it... I had a go anyway, though, since 'simple' is about what I need to be practising on right now XD

I opened it up in Blender (3ds is currently installing, but I don't think it'll make much difference for this) and I think I can see what it is you're suggesting I do. Unfortunately the shoulder skulls/skull bag don't seem to be on their own chunk, and instead they're chunked with the entire upper half of the mesh:

I can probably work out how to separate them, but two questions:

1. I know Inquisition is finicky about the number of polygons in a mesh. If separating the chunk adds more faces, is it even possible do do this and stil successfully re-import?
2. Is this going to mess up the texture?

(3. Why is he at an angle. Stand up straight, Katari, you're a mess.)

I'll keep fiddling. The tutorial I've found is for 3ds, so hopefully installing that will help me with the program interface if nothing else XD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 am 

Oh man I forgot about this, sorry. I did try looking for it a little after I posted my reply and I did find it. I opened it up in 3dsmax and they were separate pieces for me, i'm not really good with mesh editing in blender lol so I don't know what's going on with that. But some meshes just won't be edited. I tried moving around pieces of flemeths outfit and that didn't work but I did get briala's mask to be invisible. With this mesh unfortunately the changes didn't stick. Separating the parts won't cause any problems as long as you don't delete any of it. No it shouldn't mess up the texture, if you get it to work that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 am 

Oh man I forgot about this, sorry. I did try looking for it a little after I posted my reply and I did find it. I opened it up in 3dsmax and they were separate pieces for me, i'm not really good with mesh editing in blender lol so I don't know what's going on with that. But some meshes just won't be edited. I tried moving around pieces of flemeths outfit and that didn't work but I did get briala's mask to be invisible. With this mesh unfortunately the changes didn't stick. Separating the parts won't cause any problems as long as you don't delete any of it. No it shouldn't mess up the texture, if you get it to work that is.

Also, if you hold down on the scroll button on your mouse and move it it'll move the window in blender lol