Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Loader For DAI Tools is ready! -by Dawnless Sky
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:42 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 373 time
Hi guys! :D

So, I made a little something. This doesn't solve the patch problems. This doesn't let you import new stuff. (I know! Bummer!)What this does is simply allow you to receive the updated versions of both the Mod Manager and the Modding tool. Each time one of the coders is done fixing stuff, you'll receive the updates automatically.

Should we add a 3rd project to the "suite", you'll see it automatically too.

Plus, there's a nice area where we can make announcements. (For now it's only a picture of my one and true love (I'm trash, I know))

This means that you don't need to ever again search through forum posts, nexus mods, etc to find the latest version of our tools!!! YAY!!!!!!

You can try it by downloading it here :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/b2ly1mfsl3rea34/DAIToolsSuite_Loader%201.0.zip

It doesn't do much for now. The "Mod Manager" on there is just the ugliest "Test App" I could come up with XD.
So no... it's not ready for now.

Edit : Nope. It's ready now. Enjoy!

But I'd be very grateful if people could download it and play with it a little and post their comments. It should be somewhat self explanatory.

Black text = okay
Blue = Not installed
Red text = Installed but has an upgrade available.

I'll make a more elaborate post with screenshots in a few minutes.

Tumblr: http://dawnatwork.tumblr.com/ (For updates, PSA, progress reports, etc)
Discord Server :https://discord.gg/xs6Mktq

Last edited by DawnlessSky on Sat May 09, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Loader For DAI Tools coming up soon -by Dawnless Sky
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:49 am 

Have thanks: 321 time
Hee hee, Solas. ;)

Will there be an ability to do things like choose a custom path for downloading the software &c? And will it download only, or will there be an ability to launch it from the GUI via 'click to run'?

Still playing with it, but those were my first two questions.
tklivory has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:57 am 
Site Admin

1) No, there is no custom path for the moment. Simply unzip the Loader where you want the tools to be installed. It will then create a folder called "Tools". When it downloads a tool, it'll put it there.

2)There already is :) Once you download one of the apps, the "Download" button becomes "Launch". It'll then start the app you selected.

DawnlessSky has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:02 am 

1) Neat, I see it.

2) Ah, got it. I didn't highlight the app to see the Launch button on the right for le glorious test app. Nice.

Wonderful start, I'll poke it some more (and my brain) and see if I can think of anything useful to comment for you. ;)
tklivory has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:10 am 

Have thanks: 34 time
Everything looks pretty straightforward, and it will definitely be handy to have everything in one place. Thank you for taking the time to make this. :)
leista has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:41 am 
Site Admin

Here's a little tutorial, as promised, of the new Loader.

Installing

1) Download the loader provided in the first post of this thread.
2) Unzip it in a nice, comfy folder. Since the tool downloads files to this folder, you need to have admin rights in it. If you don't, simply run the Loader as administrator each time (Right click->Run as administrator)
3)That's it! Simple, wasn't it?

How to upgrade the Loader
1)You don't! If we release a new version of the loader itself, it'll update itself automatically like a big boy! This means that once you download it, even this test version, you'll never have to download it again. (Unless you delete it. But you shouldn't do that. That'd make me sad.)

Should the loader upgrade itself, it'll close as soon as you open it and then a black window will appear for a few seconds and then new version will automatically boot. Since the Loader is small in size, the whole "downloads itself, replaces itself, relaunches itself" should only take a few seconds! :)

How to use the Loader

The Project List
On the left of the screen is the Project List. Each project contains releases that are downloadable. The "Stable Releases" are the least likely to have issues. You should always use these ones if you prefer not to have bugs. However, just above the "Stable Releases" are the "Alpha" and "Beta" versions. If there aren't any, you won't see them.

The list is color coded.
Black = Downloaded and up to date
Blue = Not downloaded
Red = Downloaded but has an upgrade available

Ex: The project "Mod Manager" has 2 stable releases and an Alpha (but no Beta) that have never been downloaded.

Spoiler:

Ex2 : The Alpha version here is shown in red since it's out of date. The "upgrade" button appears if I click on it.
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Each "Release" is an independent program. If you'd download all 3 of them (both Stable Releases + the Alpha), you'll have 3 copies of the Mod Manager.

This way, if you're willing to test an Alpha or Beta version, you don't have to lose your "Stable" version :)

If you want to download a bunch of releases at once, simply check the boxes and click the "Download All Selected" button.
There's a very handy "Select all" box in the top right corner of the project list should you need it.

Displaying the Infos

If you click on a "node" in the list, a bunch of stuff will appear in the "Infos" box on the right. The box displays:
Description : A short description of what the project is.
Auto Update : If you want this project to update automatically, check the box. (More on this below)

If the "node" is a release, it'll display additional infos:
Version: The version of the release
Release date : The date at which this version was released
Release notes : This will (hopefully) contain announcements and a list of the bugs fixed for this particular release.
Upgrade Button : (Appears only if the release is out of date). Click on it to upgrade the app.
Download Button : (Appears only if the release was never downloaded). Click on it to download this particular release.
Launch Button : (Appears only if the release is downloaded). Click on it to launch the app.

Other stuff

Announcements : If we ever need to announce stuff or post links, we'll do it there :)
Refresh button : On the top right corner of the tool, there's a small refresh button. Click on it to see if there's new updates!

Automatic Updates

The automatic updates are set by "Project". This means that if you opt for automatic updates for, say, the Mod Manager, you'll receive each new version (including the Alphas and Betas) when you launch the Loader or when you use the "Refresh" button.

However, the "Enable Automatic Updates" box located on the top right corner of the tool needs to be checked too!

The "global" box is there to quickly prevent automatic updates for all projects.

To try it, here's what you can do:

1) Check the box "Auto Update" for the project but leave the "Enable Automatic Updates" unchecked.
2) Go to the folder where the Loader is installed and delete everything under "Tools".
3) Click on the refresh button. All of the releases should now be blue (indicating they're not installed)
4) Click the "Enable Automatic Updates" box
5) As soon as you do, the releases will download themselves!

2nd Test :
1) Leave BOTH boxes checked.
2) Close the Loader
3) Delete everything under "Tools"
4) Launch the Loader again

The Loader remembers your choices and downloads everything again! :)

Hidden features

There's only one for now:

1) The Loader remembers the last app you launched. That way, you can quickly launch the same app the next time you open the Loader.

Difference between a new release and an upgrade

I'm posting this because it might not be so self explanatory.

We will give out new releases when a lot has changed in one app.
For example, we could list one release of the Mod Manager that is compatible with Patch 5 and one with Patch 6.

Each releases are independent. This means that you will get an entirely new "copy" of the app. This means you will most likely have to reconfigure the app.

An upgrade is a minor change for the same release. An upgrade will replace your copy of the release. Your settings should remain intact.

Alphas and Betas will always require upgrades rather than receive new releases unless the name is changed.

The File System

The Loader will start by creating 2 folders :
temp : This is used by the tool for downloading the .zip files of the releases. Each app comes in a zip. Once it's done downloading, the Loader will extract it in the correct folder.
Tools : This is the global folder where the tools will be.

The path of each release is as follow :
root/Tools/Project Name/Branch Name/Release Name/

The Loader determines if a release has been downloaded/installed simply by looking up if its folder exists. For that matter, if you delete everything in a release's folder and click "Launch", you'll get a nice error message saying it can't find the .exe ;)
So... don't do that XD

However, should you want to re-download entirely a particular release, simply delete its folder and Refresh the Loader. Since the folder doesn't exist anymore, it'll tag the Release as "Not Downloaded".

Upcoming Features

1) Eventually, I'd like the Loader to check every X minutes for new updates.
2) Make it really pretty!
3) Anything else you guys would like the Loader to do (within reason. It can't bake cookies. It makes decent pies though!)

That's it!

Enjoy!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Re: Loader For DAI Tools coming up soon -by Dawnless Sky
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:10 am 

Have thanks: 131 time
Can it make cakes? Cake > pie.

Thank you for all this work :D

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Re: Loader For DAI Tools coming up soon -by Dawnless Sky
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:23 am 
Site Admin

The Loader should now update itself to version 1.0.0.5.

There's a MINOR bug where the console windows stays opened :(
I'm sorry T_T

But it should now list officially the latest version of the Mod Manager :D

Enjoy!!!!!!

DawnlessSky has been thanked by:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Loader For DAI Tools is ready! -by Dawnless Sky
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:00 am 

Thank you, Dawn!

(and yes - All Done! Phew! - nice touch)

Looking forward to the Modding Tool and other matters.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Loader For DAI Tools is ready! -by Dawnless Sky
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

hahaha I like funny messages.
There's a few more hidden in there.
But you'd have to make the loader get errors (so you might never see them :p)

Report this post

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next