Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hair mesh creation won't show up in-game
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi guys, first time modder here.

I've been trying to make my first hair mesh now, it's not great quality but for a first attempt with 3ds max, it went reasonably well.

However, despite how well everything seemed to go, the mesh won't show up in-game. There's only a scalp texture where the mesh should be.

To go into details: I followed Ottemis's hair modding tutorial on here and Leto Six's on youtube. Imported the hf p mesh (the hair bun, which I was planning on editing) into 3ds, edited the mesh, exported the mesh to .obj format (carefully selecting the right options, see pic), created a mod with Mod maker (the new mesh was imported without problems), loaded the mod (and only that mod, so no conflict with others) using Mod manager and.. a scalp texture is all I get when I select my newly created hair in the in-game cc :(

I've tried both version 19 and 16 of the Mod maker, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

After spending so much time fumbling with 3ds max and Mod maker (even creating a new mesh from scratch and trying all over again), I'm feeling pretty bummed. I'm hoping one of you might know what's going on or what I've done wrong. Thanks in advance!

Edit: added modding files to this post, see below.

Attachments:
Anora hair wip.rar [886.32 KiB]
Downloaded 26 times

Last edited by Eleonora on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hair mesh creation won't show up in-game
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 am 

(Added the modding files to the main post, so anyone can check it out if they want.)

I think I know what might be the problem. The SlimDX.dll file isn't working properly on my pc. That dll is apparently vital for working with Mod Maker (weird that everything seems to work fine regardless, but there you go). Reinstalling SlimDX doesn't solve it either, so it's probably my pc that's messed up.

If anyone has come across a similar problem and/or a solution, I'd love to know. For now, I guess I'll just postpone my modding adventures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:06 pm 

Have thanks: 7 time
when I loaded your 3ds max file I got this prompt:
Attachment:
mismatch.png
mismatch.png [ 21.79 KiB | Viewed 1146 times ]

I don't know if measurement mismatch is the problem or not, but every tutorial I have seen show the import being in metric.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:42 am 

CapriMe wrote:
when I loaded your 3ds max file I got this prompt:
(img)

I don't know if measurement mismatch is the problem or not, but every tutorial I have seen show the import being in metric.

Thanks for checking! I've read about different time zone settings (oddly enough) being a cause of modding problems, so perhaps a difference in measurement settings could be the cause of my problems as well. I'll go see if it helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 414 time
In the game you must have your mesh settings set to ultra in order for the hair to show up, also when your editing hair make sure u only edit LOD 0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:54 pm 

I changed the measurement settings to metric, but that didn't help unfortunately. Still only a scalp instead of hair :-(

Adela wrote:
In the game you must have your mesh settings set to ultra in order for the hair to show up, also when your editing hair make sure u only edit LOD 0

Yes, I'm playing the game with mesh settings set to ultra, and I only edited LOD 0 (I think I didn't even import the other LODs in 3ds max).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:51 pm 

Are you able to see the mesh's preview on the ModMaker?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:14 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
Your mesh is working properly here.

http://imgur.com/a/FYZXE/all

What I think that could have happened in your case is that your language settings uses another type of decimal separator (forgot the name in english, sorry).
If Adela's suggestion didn't work, you can try to open the .obj file with Notepad and replace (ctrl+H) the dots (.) with commas (,), and import it again in ModMaker and see if it works.
aisuho has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:53 am 

aisuho wrote:

What I think that could have happened in your case is that your language settings uses another type of decimal separator (forgot the name in english, sorry).
If Adela's suggestion didn't work, you can try to open the .obj file with Notepad and replace (ctrl+H) the dots (.) with commas (,), and import it again in ModMaker and see if it works.

Amazing, it worked! Thanks a lot :D

Changing the dots to commas in Notepad did the trick! I'll see if I can change some settings in 3DS Max to edit that automatically, otherwise I'll just keep using this method, which is great and easy anyway. I'm using the english version of 3DS, but a non-english computer (dutch, to be specific), so therein lies the problem.

Hah, I'm so relieved it finally worked, I kinda already gave up on modding. Now I can start working on my 3D modeling skills because that mesh.. still needs a lot of work :lol:

embass wrote:
Are you able to see the mesh's preview on the ModMaker?

Funny that you mention that, I'm actually not able to see the meshes in ModMaker because a file called SlimDX.dll isn't working correctly on my computer (and I can't seem to fix it either). I thought this was the main cause of my problems but I'm actually able to import/export meshes without any problems. So I have no choice but to import the meshes in 3DS to view them, which I'm okay with since everything else works fine now :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:37 pm 

aisuho wrote:

Thank you so much, this worked! I can't change the decimal options of my computer, but manually editing the .obj with notepad works like a charm :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]