Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: DAI Modding tool to allow importing of textures
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 751 time
Hi All,

I am putting this thread in the Research forum, as this is more of a research tool at this time, it is something that I have been working on since the beginning, its usually where I do my research, eventually I would like to see it (or something else like it) become the one stop shop for modding. As of last night, I decided to incorporate my import code (Only for textures at this time). I had some hurdles to overcome with different size references, but I think I have managed to solve all that. Biggest issue was not creating new Chunks with new ChunkID's. Since moving to that system, everything has been working successfully.

Right now the tool will only import DXT1 and DXT5 textures, and can replace any texture asset. The design of this tool is very different to other tools, as it uses the EBX for traversal, preview and importing. In fact the whole resources tab doesn't even have to exist, it is merely there for debugging. It also loads all bundles at once (The initial load can take upwards of 20 mins, but after that it has cached all needed data and all subsequent loads should be very quick). During the initial load and subsequent loads, you can actually start previewing files immediately as they popup. Saving and other functions should be mostly prevented, but may potentially cause crashes if done during loading, so please do not try.

Attachment:
DAIModdingTool05.jpg
DAIModdingTool05.jpg [ 375.37 KiB | Viewed 16556 times ]

The above picture is the initial view. The top left hand corner is the list of all folders from all bundles. The bottom right hand corner is the Asset (EBX) view and Resource view. Each Asset shows its type in rectangular brackets. Double clicking on these will either reveal a property grid (Even tho it is editable, nothing is saved). Or if it has not been defined in the ClassDefs.xml. It will show the raw XML, with all external links mapped. The middle of the screen is the main render window, it serves no purpose at this time, but will eventually be able to load maps into it.

Attachment:
DAIModdingTool01.jpg
DAIModdingTool01.jpg [ 99.25 KiB | Viewed 16556 times ]

The above picture shows the EBX property grid view. External references can be jumped to by clicking the "View" button, which will open another property grid with the external EBX. Resources can be previewed by clicking on the "Preview" button, if there is a preview available, at this time only Static Meshes and Textures.

Attachment:
DAIModdingTool02.jpg
DAIModdingTool02.jpg [ 87.94 KiB | Viewed 16556 times ]

The above picture is of the Mesh preview window, textures can be assigned to the mesh (At this time only Diffuse and Normals). So you can see what it will look like, you can also add additional meshes and assign textures to them. There is also a highlight feature so you can see what a Sub object really is pointing to. (The remove button is currently not functional)

Now onto the good stuff. Importing a texture.

When you first open the application. You will be prompted to locate the Dragon Age executable, this will establish the base path used for asset gathering and such. After which the asset gathering will begin. Go out for a while, or watch the progress bar, or go preview some meshes while the process is happening. Once the initial asset gather is complete. You need to locate a [TextureAsset] in the Assets window, double clicking on it will reveal its property grid, with one important distinction. A "Replace" button at the top

Attachment:
DAIModdingTool08.jpg
DAIModdingTool08.jpg [ 253.38 KiB | Viewed 16556 times ]

Clicking on the "Replace" button will give you a dialog to go find a DDS, make sure its DXT1 or DXT5 format, otherwise you will be confronted with an error. Once the replacement is complete, you will recieve a message box. Clicking on the Preview button will now show the new texture.

To complete the process, you need to go to File and click "Save as Patch". You will be prompted where to save the location of the Package.mft file (The root of the patch). At this point, it will gather all modified resources/chunks and generate the necessary patch files (From your existing patch as well). And save out to the output location provided.

Attachment:
DAIModdingTool07.jpg
DAIModdingTool07.jpg [ 299.36 KiB | Viewed 16556 times ]

The above picture shows a 2048x2048 DXT1 texture on Cullen, and a 256x256 DXT5 texture on Josephine, both applied with the above tool.

Link to tools: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqpBc ... sp=sharing
Prerequisites: SlimDX Runtimes (http://slimdx.org/download.php)

Remember this is a very work in progress tool, expect things not to work, or just outright crash at this time. The zip file contains both x86 and x64 builds. But I am unable to test the x86 build on a x86 system, so hopefully it will work.

Post subject: Re: DAI Modding tool to allow importing of textures
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Decided to test out my tool some more and replaced all Chantry exterior textures. Enjoy:

Attachment:
MulticoloredChantry.jpg
MulticoloredChantry.jpg [ 474.77 KiB | Viewed 16540 times ]
Ehamloptiran has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:56 pm 

Have thanks: 16 time
amazing work mate. something cool to play with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
Can't launch. Installed slimdx priordownloading this tool.
Getting an error on launch -

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
   Problem signature 01: DAIModdingTool.exe
   Problem signature 02: 1.0.0.0
   Problem signature 03: 548f615b
   Problem signature 04: SlimDX
   Problem signature 05: 4.0.13.43
   Problem signature 06: 4f2a19a5
   Problem signature 07: 693
   Problem signature 08: 3a
   Problem signature 09: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParse
   OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
   Language Code: 1049
   Additional Information 1: f8c3
   2 For more information: f8c3ffa6300645007e61ba9bb5a5ce18
   For more information, 3: cae9
   For more information, 4: cae937db740fec7d75c1a9048885d929

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Do you have a DX11 compatible card? Because thats what the rendering is done in, and its the only way I can simulate that crash, is by running on a machine that does not have a DX11 card.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 am 

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

just in case if that counts too:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r3.140827-1500)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Language: Russian (Regional Setting: Russian)
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16336MB RAM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:37 am 
Site Admin

It might be your language settings, Ive always had problems with people from other languages using my tools.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:29 am 

Not good.
If i understand correctly, this tool will be used for importing stuff in DA:I in future, right?
Not that one we use for extracting resourses i mean.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:35 am 
Site Admin

Not necessarily, this is my research tool, I would like this tool, or another like it to be the one stop shop, of course if it does end up being this tool, I will investigate language issues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 78 time
Now that my finals are done, I'm definitely going to try this out. Gonna have to thoroughly read over Ehamloptiran's notes prior to lol. Awesome work!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next