Dragon Age: Inquisition Modding Tools

All about modding tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to the Dragon Age Modding tools forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Concerning DLC files... the happy sequel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 373 time
Okay
again

I repeat

This doesn't fix DLC issues. Not at all.

It just enabled the "Export" button which was previously greyed out when the texture or mesh was from a DLC file.

Tumblr: http://dawnatwork.tumblr.com/ (For updates, PSA, progress reports, etc)
Discord Server :https://discord.gg/xs6Mktq

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:37 pm 

Have thanks: 9 time
Ooooh yes, the avvar warpaint looks a million times better than what I was attempting (even being lazy and not swapping the normal yet). :D <3 And I figured out a way to fairly easily get the pattern to be whatever I want. (Oh man and if I get that pajama-to-armor swap mod figured out and grab the invisible armor mod, I can even wear the avvar armor to the ball...Vivienne's gonna kill me. :lol: )

I'd like your opinion, Dawn, since you have a good handle on what's okay and what's not, and I want to be as certain as possible that I don't overstep Bioware's gracious bounds. I was considering possibly making a few avvar-facepaint warboy mods on request, if there was interest (and after I find time). Do you think it would be okay to post those publicly, since the facepaint isn't something technically available even with the DLC, or would it be better to send it to folks in PMs after they prove they have the DLC? (Or not at all, and just explain how I extracted and combined the textures so people can do their own thing?)

...What if I made Solas a warboy.
.............What if I made EVERYONE a warboy? >:D

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 272 time
General note: Only thing I'd still advise against is making DLC content available through modding without having to own it. Obvious no-fly zone.

@Melampode: Good question, nice gray area there. Lets' see what Dawn thinks. You're referring to assets unique to a DLC, but not unlocked for the PC through the DLC, correct?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what you're trying to say Mel...

And asking people to prove they got the DLC seems kind of like a lot of work XD Plus it'd be easy to fake. XD

One easy way to know "Am I cheating the game?" is this :
Don't export an asset and import it back in an other file.

If you export the asset, tweek it, then re-import it back for the same asset, it's not cheating the game :)

A big no no would be to export a DLC asset and import it back by overriding a base game asset.
Ex: Taking the mesh of an Item Pack weapon and overriding one of the lame *** vanilla game weapon with it so that people don't need to buy the Item Pack to get aesthetics :)

Bioware seems pretty chill about the whole thing (which is a very nice surprise) but I don't think they'd approve of that because then no one would need to buy the Item Packs XD
(If you see this kind of behavior on websites like Nexus, report it please :) )

Don't profit from their stuff and don't make them lose money and it seems we won't get into any trouble :D

Mod away, people! :D

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:38 am 

Sorry about the confusion, Dawn! Let me see if I can clarify...

I absolutely understand not making DLC armor (and etc.) available for folks without said DLC. To use what I'm doing as an example, I would never make the avvar armor (http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Avvar_Armor) available to anybody without them needing to buy Spoils of the Avvar.

But, as you can see from the screenshots on that page, the armor leaves your face perfectly clean, which looks kinda jarring. There are no "helmets" to put the facepaint that NPCs have onto your own characters (you can see one of the JoH NPC facepaint styles here: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/File:Avvav.png). Since those face textures* aren't available to players whether you have the DLC or not, would it be okay to release a mod that replaces the companions'/inquisitors's face texture with a tweaked version of it? Along these lines, with different patterning + scarification: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/ ... rd5ofn.png (the black part is smooth because I haven't swapped normals and was initially doing the black via vallaslin :P )

I would hope making tweaked facepaint patterns for the inquisition would actually encourage folks to buy the Spoils of the Avvar so they could have armor that matches their facepaint, though I'm less certain if it would also encourage buying JoH (which is where the facepaint texture is located). I would encourage it, of course, but I'm not sure how much that would sway people vs. having to get JoH to make their own facepaint.

*Variations of the DLC textures ARE available--the two non-DLC "chasind" textures have blue facepaint in different patterns (like this guy: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Movran_the_Under), but are otherwise identical. It would be much more difficult to use those files to make a base for black and white variations, but it would be possible. (The blue markings overlap so you'd have to fiddle to get it all white, but the DLC has two that are color-flipped and can be pretty easily combined to get both solid black and white.) So that kinda makes this even more uncertain for me. :?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 272 time
Personally I don't see an issue with this as variations of the facepaint are already available in basegame on NPCs.
Ottemis has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Yeah I don't really see a problem with that either.

Mod away! :)

DawnlessSky has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:35 am 

Awesome, thank you both so much! :D

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:18 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
Thanks to Illidan, and to Dawn for shining the light.

Aaaand...

electricfish wrote:
!!!!
Turning all the bears into tiny-bears for Hinterlands hilarity?

Esteemed electricfish -

I try to avoid using AOL-speak from the 90s - always seems to turn me in to a giggling teenage girl, gossiping on the phone.

BUT... OH. MY. GAWD!

That just might be THE MOST BRILLIANT IDEA FOR A MOD I've heard since... perhaps ever.

I know that we must not encourage any profit from assets, as Dawn eloquently reminded us. That said...
I just think that I might pay A MOUNTAIN OF GOLD - or steal from my dear old Mother - for tiny-bears in the Hinterlands.

And what of Emerald Graves? I can just picture the Great teeny-tiny-Bear cubs, on the heels of their Great tiny-Bear mother... ;-)

Just had to issue appropriate kudos for that flash of brilliance, even if you were bearly serious.
aprilia1k has been thanked by:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:27 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
I don't know about bears but giants height needs to be fixed asp, it looks idiotic and breaks immersion when something THAT big hits and stomps on you and literally nothing happens, you should turn in to the crushed meat.

Report this post